Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Battery Run-Around

Here in Africa, the easiest thing for international students to do is get a simple phone, similar to a "track" phone in America. Mine is a small Nokia with Cell-C as my carrier, and it is the most indestructible phone I've ever had. I've dropped it more times that I can count and it's still kickin'. But, Saturday night I dropped it and didn't realize that not all the pieces were there when I put it back together. Yep, I lost my battery.

With a normal phone, this wouldn't be a problem- I could plug it in to use it temporarily until I had a new battery. But I've been out of touch with everyone for 4 days now and it was about time to get a battery.

I left about an hour early for class today and went to the mall. I used the wrong entrance, had to walk all the way down the mall, down the steps, and back all the way down to get to Cell-C. They told me to try Game, which was near the entrance I came in at. I waited 15 minutes for someone to come to the counter, only to tell me they don't carry the battery I need, and sent me to the store next door or Vodacom. I tried the store next to them. They told me to leave the mall and go across the street. It sounded sketchy, but it turns out that guy across the street had exactly what I needed. But he only takes cash. So I tried the NedBank ATM-- out of service. Both of them. I ran inside to ABSA, waited in line, and finally had cash for my battery.

That's when you'd think the story ends. I wanted  to walk back through the mall since I had 10 minutes before Afrikaans started. So, I walk back into the mall, get all turned around, and go out the right exit but turn the wrong way. I was behind the mall on a street I've never been on, had to walk all the way back around the mall, passing the same exit I took, and finally to the proper street I needed to take me to class. Whew! Needless to say my feet are sore. Plus I only had 4 texts waiting for me, 2 of which were promotions from the company. From now on, that phone will be attached to a string around my wrist! Ok, maybe not, but I will definitely take better care of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment