Monday, October 28, 2013

A Day Out in Stellies

Since I don't have any class this week, I have a whole bunch of free time to fill. It's really nice out so I thought it'd be fun to show you all a little more of Stellenbosch! :)

First up is the Sasol Art Museum, where we went for drawing last week. 









Everything else comes from today, as you can probably tell by the weather. This is the engineering building, next to where I live at Concordia.


Here's a small residence across from engineering on your way into campus. Not sure of the name of the house, but I wanted to get a picture because of the cool thatch roof and eyelid window. 


Directly next to that house is the JC Smuts Faculty. I walk through this building to get to campus. This pictures makes campus look as warm as it feels finally! 


The following are of the Landbouwetenskappe, or Agriculture Sciences, building. 




Here's one of the most interesting buildings on campus: J.H. Neethling. ("Gebou" means building.)


Here's a small sample of the "rooi plein," or red plain, with the library and J.S. Marais statue. All those stairs lead down to the underground library.



This is one of the most interesting buildings on campus, J.H. Neethling. ("Gebou" means building.)














 This is Visual Arts,where I had drawing class. The entire part of the second floor that you can see sticking out on the right-hand side was our studio!


The next building is J.S. Marais, which I think is different from the other buildings because of the simple entryway. 



 A more classically-styled building, the Statistics building.






The Konservatorium, where concerts and recitals are held. Unfortunately I couldn't get in today.






A few architectural details along the walk...



 The Harmonie residence hall was my favorite building of the whole day. The front porch reminded me a lot of a porch in the South. The house is really nice and the landscaping makes it look like a nice country home.




The national flower, Protea, and a few other shots at the Botanical Gardens.







This area is full of Bed & Breakfast's, and they photograph really nicely with the mountains in the back. 








A house in one neighborhood that looks modern enough to be found in any American neighborhood. I love this house, especially the gate to get in. 


Next up is my all-time favorite building, the Theology building. 








A few more shots around town, including the iconic Dutch-reform church and church house next to it.











No comments:

Post a Comment