Saturday, August 17, 2013

Our New South African Friends!

The only class Emmi and I have on Fridays is VCE, and it was pretty cold so we didn't stand outside to do check-in and check-out, so we were back by 11. I met with my group to plan for next week's theme: Vegetables. Afterwards I went to the bookstore and finally found a book to read for the sunny days when I can lay in the courtyard. I met up with Nick and Emmi at the mall. Nick and the rest of our AIFS friends left at 1p for a weekend trip in the Cederberg mountains. So we ate lunch, came home and changed, and went for a wine tour with our friend Alishea. Her friends, Delaille, Christian, Ruanda, Holly, and Dawn came too :)





We started at Lovani, where it was 5 glasses for R20, which is $2. The room where we were was right next to the cellar. It was all brick and the tables were made with barrels; the atmosphere was so cozy! They taught us to say oopdierde (I'm sure I didn't spell that right!), which means something like cheers on the first. Next, Delaille had an interview at Asana so we did a tasting there in the meantime. They had 3 wines for R3, and they actually threw in a 4th for us. This place was my favorite because it was pretty fancy and we were able to start with all 4 wines then stand around and talk. Holly told us about Durban and how you can pretty much go to the beach any time of the year, so Emmi and I are thinking about maybe going there for Spring Break. We ended the tasting at Tokara, where 6 wines are free! The view was amazing; you can see all of Stellenbosch, and that was with the cloudy and rainy weather. We really want to go back when it gets warmer and it's clear enough to see further out. Then we went to dinner at Bohemia and met a few more of their friends. We had so much fun, and it was definitely a good way to spend a rainy Friday!










Cheers from Suid Afrika! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment